This coffee is part of the Farm Select program with Banexport in Colombia, an initiative that aims to support producers with the tools they need to improve their coffee quality, gain access to better prices, and make lasting connections with committed specialty buyers. Through its Farm Select program standards and protocols, Banexport identifies producers who are willing to utilize advanced techniques and technology in order to produce a better cup, provides them with education and support toward that end, and connects them with buyers who are interested in developing mutually beneficial, long-term and reliable buying relationships.
The Farm Select program has several specific elements, including:
- The use of Brix and pH meters for optimal harvesting and fermentation
- Farm soil analysis and fertilization guidance
- Sensory analysis training and support
- Fixed per-pound pricing for producers above both the C market price and the daily market price set by the FNC in Colombia
- Training and higher compensation for pickers on Farm Select farms ($600 pesos per kilo compared with the national standard $300 pesos)
The Ipia family combined six lots into this Farm Select offering, and each contributing family member grows one or more of the following varieties: Caturra, Castillo, and Bourbon. Each family member utilizes the same processing techniue: The coffee is first picked ripe, then "double fermented" by being kept in a hopper for 12 hours after being depulped, then fermented for 22–24 hours in a tank. All the coffee is dried in parabolic dryers, and it takes between 15–20 days, generally speaking.
The Ipia family includes:
- Maria Georgina, Finca El Cafetal
- Angel Maria Ipia, Finca Caña Dulce
- Jose Lisandro Ipia, Finca El Vergel
- Jorgelina Medina, Finca El Mirador
- Victor Armando Ipia, Finca El Manzanar
- Luz Elida Peña, Finca El Vergel
Nueva Jerusalem, Jambalo, Cauca
Six farms owned by members of the Ipia family
|Variety||Castillo, Caturra, Bourbon|
Tasting notes: Sweet with caramel and chocolate, tart with green grape and lemon-lime.
Website orders are roasted and packed every Monday and picked up Tuesday by USPS for delivery. As we only roast exactly as much of each coffee as we have known orders for, please be sure and place your order no later than 10 AM (PST) on Monday for fulfillment that week. Orders that come in later than that may not be fulfilled until the following week.
Here is a quick guide to what our shipping rates are based on the quantity you order:
Orders weighing 0 - 7.99 Pounds ship for $7.00.
Orders weighing 8 Pounds or more ship for Free!
(If you live in the Seattle area and would like to know where you can find Velton's Coffee locally, check out our handy guide!)
Scroll down to see all current available coffees. To view or purchase click on the images below.